SD-WAN can offer a number of benefits:
- Lower costs with simple WAN automation and orchestration
- Extend enterprise networks seamlessly into public cloud
- Provide optimal user experience for software-as-a-service applications
- Leverage a transport-independent WAN for lower cost and higher diversity, with the underlying network making up of many types of IP network (Internet, MPLS, 3G/4G/LTE, satellite)
- Enhance application visibility to improve performance and intelligent path control
- Provide end-to-end WAN segmentation and encryption
There are two SD-WAN offerings by Cisco, Cisco SD-WAN and Meraki SD-WAN
A SD-WAN solution based on Viptela and is a cloud solution that provides granular segmentation, advanced routing, advanced security and supports complicated topologies.
A SD-WAN solution that requires a unified threat management solution with SD-WAN functionality or with networks that are already powered by Meraki looking to branch into SD-WAN. The unified threat management solution provides firewall, VPN, intrusion prevention, antivirus, antivirus and web content filtering functionality.